Coming Soon - a database of campus sustainability projects, resources, groups and research!
Volunteer with Sustainable Campuses. Check out our new positions.
Sign up to the Sustainable Campuses Network to receive a monthly newsletter and more!
About Sustainable Campuses
Since 1998, the Sustainable Campuses project has worked with thousands of students from across Canada in order to:Campuses is a national initiative that inspires, informs, trains, and supports Canadian students working toward social equity, ecological integrity and economic prosperity on their campuses. These changes are achieved through addressing institutional operations, improving curricula and mobilizing campus community members’ support.
- Change environmental and social practices on Canadian campuses
- Empower youth to influence decision makers
Read the Sustainable Campuses Annual Report 2008-2009.
To achieve our goal of making campuses more sustainable we build national and regional networks, host annual conferences, and support work to institutionalise sustainability on campuses by focusing on four inter-woven areas: process, research, actions, and campaigns.
In addition, we work with partner organizations at the national and regional level to advance campus and societal sustainability. These are:
- The Canadian Youth Climate Coalition (National)
- The Youth Partnership for Sustainable Development (Quebec)
- Go Beyond: The Campus Climate Network (BC)
- Meal Exchange (National)
- Polaris Institute (National)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (National)
- Canadian Federation of Students (National)
- Council of Canadians (National)
- LeadNow (National)
The building of a multi-stakeholder process often distinguishes a successful initiative from a failure. The multi-stakeholder process engages diverse campus members (students, faculty, staff, and administrators) to address campus sustainability as a community in a collaborative way. Effective communication with all campus community members ensures the most meaningful and effective results.
SYC offers two research tools to measure and manage campus sustainability:
- Campus Sustainability Assessment Framework (CSAF): A comprehensive and holistic indicator tool to measure campus sustainability.
- GHG Emissions Inventory Calculator: This tool facilitates the collection, analysis and presentation of all campus greenhouse gas emission data.
Research is only able to bring about change if it is properly connected with recommendations or plans of action. SYC can help to turn research into action, by providing support in several areas:
- Report writing and results communication strategies
- Recommendations development and feasibility studies
- Action plans
- Greenhouse gas emission reduction plans
- Environmental Management Systems
- Sustainability Management Systems
Projets en developpement durable